Monday, September 29, 2008

Meatball "Stone" Soup

Earlier this year I participated in a Betty Crocker Dinner Made Easy recipe test. Betty Crocker provided us with several recipes to choose from and I made the "Meatball 'Stone' Soup."

The Ingredients:

Italian style meatballs, diced tomatoes, beef broth, mixed vegetables, onion, potatoes and spices.

I didn't have the exact spices called for so I substituted garlic powder and fresh ground black pepper for garlic-pepper blend and since my can of tomatoes was unseasoned, I added some Italian seasoning. I thought I had a potato, but discovered too late that I didn't, so I added a can of diced potatoes, drained, at the same time as the frozen veggies.


This is how full my 4-quart crock pot was when all the ingredients had been added. The size was perfect; I wouldn't go any smaller.


Our whole family enjoyed this soup very much. Even my finicky 11 year-old ate it to the last drop. I've made this soup several times in the past few months and it is always greeted with enthusiasm.

This is the recipe, exactly as it was provided to me by Betty Crocker with my changes in italics. It doesn't need to cook as long as the recipe recommends. It turns out fine at 6-7 hours instead of the original 9-11.

MEATBALL STONE SOUP

Prep Time: 10 Min
Start to Finish: 10 Hr 10 Min

1 bag (16 oz.) frozen cooked Italian-style meatballs
1 can (28 oz.) Progresso® diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
(or 1 can (28 oz.) regular diced tomatoes, undrained plus 1 tsp. Italian seasoning blend)
1 medium potato, chopped (1 cup)
(or 1 can diced new potatoes, drained)
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 cans (14 oz. each) beef broth
1/4 tsp. garlic-pepper blend
(or 1/8 tsp. each garlic powder and black pepper)
1 bag (1 lb.) Green Giant® frozen mixed vegetables

1. Spray inside of 3- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In slow cooker, mix frozen meatballs, tomatoes, potato (if using canned, wait until adding frozen vegetables), onion, garlic-pepper blend (Italian seasoning blend) and broth.
2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 9 to 11 hours (6 to 7 hours).
3. Increase heat setting to High. Stir in frozen mixed vegetables (and canned potatoes). Cover; cook 1 hour longer.

6 servings

1 Serving: Calories 375 (Calories from Fat 170); Total Fat 19g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat nc); Cholesterol 120mg; Sodium 1670mg; Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 7g, Sugars nc); Protein 31g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A nc; Vitamin C nc; Calcium nc; Iron 24%
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 2 Vegetable
Carbohydrate Choices:

2008 © and ®/™ of General Mills

Betty Crocker Kitchens® Tips: "Stone Soup" is a children's folktale that tells an optimistic story of townspeople sharing ingredients from their cupboards and an actual stone to make a pot of soup. We used some of the same ingredients -- but not the stone! -- and cooked them in the slow cooker.
Make this hot and hearty soup the main course of a simple meal. Sprinkle the soup with freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, and serve with whole-grain rolls or assorted crackers. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment