Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Chocolate Sheet Cake

This is my favorite cake of all time. I got the recipe from my mother, who has been making it for probably the last 65 years. We both make if for just about every special occasion. No holiday or family get together would be complete without it.

4 rounded tbl. cocoa
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. soda
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt


Frosting:
4 rounded tbl. cocoa
1 stick butter or margarine
1 lb. powdered sugar, sifted
6 tbl. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Melt cocoa, butter, shortening and water in saucepan. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and stir in remaining cake ingredients. Beat with mixer until smooth. Bake in greased 13x9x2 pan at 400ºF for 20-30 minutes. Cool. Melt cocoa, butter and milk in saucepan. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and stir in remaining frosting ingredients. Beat until creamy. Pour and spread over cake.

2 comments:

  1. Tina at Mommy's KitchenMay 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM

    Oh wow I have a brand new sheet cake pan that I am dying to try a recipe in. I have a sheet cake recipe as well, they sound very similar. Thanks for stopping by my site I will be back again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've found many different, but almost identical versions of this chocolate sheet cake. I hope you make and enjoy one soon! My mother sometimes makes hers in a jelly roll pan.

    ReplyDelete